Whenever it comes to select a perfect CMS to build a cool website, then definitely you want to go with the best name. Nowadays, the best websites are powered by powerful and easy content management systems that allows you to make a change to a website without getting your hand dirty in coding. According to the statistics and research, WordPress is still holding his ground firmly, and sharing 58.6% of marketing share. Following pie chart will clear the picture.
Literally, choosing a perfect CMS is really a complicated and challenging task, especially when you have too many options. So in this blog, we are going to describe the CMS in detail. Here you will learn about:
• Content Management System
• Open source CMS
• How to choose the perfect CMS
• Which CMS should you choose
• Comparison of three popular CMS
1-Content Management System- A content management system is a powerful application that proves extremely helpful for non- technical people to create and run the website without any hassle. Through an admin panel, you can manage the content of the website, like create and update pages, post and other types of content ( images, videos, etc) very easily. Even you can change the design of the site through admin panel without writing the singles line of codes, just simply by clicking button.
2-Open source CMS-As from the name it is getting very clear that source code is open to the public. This mean, it is very easy to use, edit, and customize the core files of the engine on your site.
3-How to choose the perfect CMS- It is a tricky business to choose a perfect CMS, it all depends on your requirement and goal of the project. Here we are sharing some useful points that will help you choose the perfect CMS
Core functionality- CMS is not all about editing, deleting, creating and organize pages rather there is a range of functionality that not every system supports, like e commerce, event management, multi website support and many more. So it is mandatory to consider the functionality, unnecessary functionality slow down and make the system cumbersome so you need to prepare the list of what you need and don’t need from your CMS.
Interface and usability- CMS is application which is developed to enable non- technical person to manage the content of the website without any hassle, so before choosing it make sure that backend of CMS is intuitive and easy to use.
Flexibility- Some well-known content management system is completely inflexible in their presentation of content, such inflexibility is neither consider ideal for design nor for accessibility. So choose the system that offers excellent flexibility.
Extensible- To incorporate some extra feature into website, it is mandatory that CMS should extensible. Some CMSs provides a greater level of extensibility due to their superior code base.
Search- People often overlook the importance of search when selecting CMS, it is one of the important aspects of any website. People must consider following point in mind when assessing a CMS’s search engine friendliness.
1- Title Tag Customization
2- Static, Keyword- Rich URL Customization
3- Meta Tag Customization
4- Enabling Custom Html Tags
5- Internal Anchor Text Flexibility
6- 301- Redirect Functionality
7- Image Handling And Alt Tags
Integration-Integration is extremely important consideration, if CMS integrates with existing system or third party application properly, then it becomes very easy for business to collect, compile, share, analyse and report on important information in a timely manner.
Support- Support is very important, especially for open source projects. Large and active community support proves helpful for further development of CMS as well as provide answer to any questions of users. There is no guarantee of community based support, even they will not provide solution in real time so it will be better to understand the extent of this support and limitations are placed on the licensing arrangement.
Budget and licensing- Before choosing a CMS you must think about your budget. You have two options, either opt for a commercial proprietary CMS offering excellent features with quality support, or go for free open source CMS route, so it all depends on you. If you are opting commercial CMS then cut your coat according to your cloth.
4-Which CMS should you choose?
There are three big names in the world of CMS: WordPress, Drupal and Joomla. All offer awesome features, ease of use, tons of customization and strong security. So choosing CMS depends on the requirement and your business goal. First of all we are starting with most popular WordPress:
WordPress- Due to its easy interface, excellent flexibility and extensibility WordPress is the most popular CMS in the planet. Nowadays more than 60 million websites are powered by WordPress. Following are the reason that makes WordPress standout from the crowd.
• Easy installation- Easy installation is the special feature of this CMS, web hosting companies like Bluehost offer instant WordPress installation. That means while having a cup of coffee, you will have a brand new website.
• Customizable- Tons of plugins and themes are available than any other CMS. Due to its immense popularity, more third- party designer and developers will create new WordPress tools to help you.
• Free- WordPress is absolutely free, thousands of free plugins and themes are available, which proves excellent platform for beginners to start their first site.
• Community Support- For any issue or question regarding new WordPress site, there is strong community support include helpful contributors that can answer question you might have, within a short frame of time.
Drupal- Most robust and powerful CMS, ideal for medium and large project. Learning curve is complicated, but best thing is that you can do almost anything with Drupal.
Following are some quality features of this wonderful CMS.
• Technically advanced- Ideal for techies, but complicated for non-technical people. You have to familiar with HTML, CSS and PHP. Mastering Drupal is really challenging you have to devote a lot of time and patience to become expert of Drupal.
• Better performance- The performance of Drupal is better than Joomla and WordPress, response time is faster and pages will load quickly. But adding too many third party plugins can hamper its performance.
• Customizable- With thousands of free themes and plugins it is very easy to customize Drupal. For any significant changes, you can edit the root files directly.
• Free- Drupal is free. You don’t need to invest a single penny for it.
Joomla-Joomla is second most popular CMS after WordPress. It is not as technically complicated as Drupal but enough powerful to run most websites without any hassle. Here are some amazing features of Drupal.
• Learning is little tough for beginners- Joomla is complicated than WordPress especially when you have never worked with this CMS before. You have to devote time and effort to master Joomla. Assigning plugins to modules, positioning modules on different pages, configuring layouts and other necessary manipulation can be harsh for beginners.
• Commerce Site- Joomla is ideal to build a quick online store. With WordPress and Drupal, it is very easy to set up an e – commerce shop without any hassle.
• Technical Support- Joomla offers a great technical support. It is not as fast and extensive as WordPress community based support, but better and cheaper than Drupal’s technical support option.
• Free- Like WordPress and Drupal, Joomla is absolutely free.
5- Comparison of three popular CMS- WordPress VS Drupal VS Joomla
|Released in 2003 by Matt Mullenwegg||Released in 2001 by Dries Buytaert||Released in 2003 by Mambo|
|75 million Websites are run on WordPress||1.1 million Websites are run on Drupal||2.8 million Websites are run on Joomla.|
|Downloads- 160 Million||Download- 25 Million||Download- 75 Million|
|Market Share- 58.6%||Market share- 4.8%||Market share- 7.5%|
|Free themes- More than 3000||Free Themes- More than 2000||Free Themes- More than 1000|
|Free plugins- 44k||Free Plugins- 26 k||Free Plugging- 5 k|
|Frequency of updates- 40 days||Frequency of updates- 30 days||Frequency of updates- 36 days|
|Best used for- Blogging website||Best used for- Complex, advanced and versatile sites.||Best used for- E- commerce and social networking sites.|
|Installation time- 5 minutes||Installation time- 10 minutes||Installation time- 10 minutes|
|Ideal Hosting- Bluehost Hosting||Ideal hosting- Inmotion Hosting||Ideal Hosting- SiteGround Hosting|
To make this blog more precise and accurate, we are sharing vital points that will prove helpful to readers to select the best CMS.
Choose WordPress over Joomla in following case:
• If you need Simple blogging website;
• If you need wide ranges of plugins;
• If you need easy learning platform;
Choose Joomla over WordPress in following case:
• If you have some basic knowledge of HTML/ CSS;
• If you are passionate about block and modules;
• If you are curious to learn awesome hidden function
Choose Drupal over WordPress in following cases:
• If you are planning to build a strong and versatile website;
• If you have strong command over technical languages like PHP, HTML and CSS;
• If you want to add some unique feature into website;
Final words- As we already said that selecting a CMS is a tricky business, but not rocket science. You need to decide your requirement and business goal. If you have good command over technical languages like HTML, PHP and CSS and want to make your website stand out from the crowd then Drupal is the best option. If you aiming to build a middle- sized social network or news site then go for Joomla. And if you are beginner and start a blogging website then nothing is better than WordPress.
In this blog, we tried our best to bring three popular CMS under one roof. We are a prestigious web agency and love to chat with people. If you have any question regarding web services or if you think we missed something in this blog then please let us know, your comments and sharing are priceless for us. Thank You.